2016 marks the Year of Adventure in Wales so if you are looking for fun, adventurous and interesting activities this half term look no further than your local museum, archive and library!
Here is a taster of some of the great events that are happening across Wales:
• The Egypt Centre, Swansea – Museums by torchlight – May 14th (4pm – 6pm)
As part of Museums at Night 2016 the Egypt Centre will be opening late to give you the chance to explore the museum with the gallery lights off and only the case lights on. This is a chance to rediscover our great collection using torches to light your way! This event is suitable for all ages.
• National Library of Wales – Build a Hero Workshops – Friday 3rd June
What do you think makes a great hero? Do you want to get started writing your own stories? Join children’s writer, Sarah Todd Taylor for a workshop and we’ll create some new heroes and send them on an adventure.
Sarah Todd Taylor is a children’s writer based in Wales. Her first book, Arthur and Me, won the Firefly Press Children’s Book Competition and was published in 2014. Suitable for children aged 7 – 10.
Free admission by ticket
• Greenfield Valley Heritage Park – Glitzy Glass – May 28th, (2pm – 4pm)
Visit our wardens who will help you put your own funky design on your very own sun catcher. Drop In.
• Rumney Partnership Hub, Julia Donaldson Story Time (1st June 9:30am – 10:30am)
Join us for stories from one of the nation’s favourite writers!
• Gwent Archives – Wildlife at the Works – May 4th (10am – 12.30pm)
Gwent Archives in partnership with Gwent Wildlife Trust invites you to discover wildlife past, present and future on the former Ebbw Vale Steelworks site.
FREE Event / booking essential
• Neath Library, Rainbow Knitters (1st June, 10-12noon)
Join our friendly group of knitters and crocheters and chat over a coffee. Beginners and experts welcome
• Brecknock Museum and Art Gallery – Oh I do like to be beside the seaside – June 2nd (10am – 4pm) at Brecon Cathedral Heritage Centre
Seaside art and craft, suitable for children aged 3-11years
FREE / Children under 8 should be accompanied by an adult
• Blaenavon Library, Torfaen – 31/05/16 – 03/06/16
Story and Craft Day: Story sessions throughout the morning starting at 10:30am and craft sessions during the day
• Canolfan Thomas Telford Centre – Guided Walks – Monday 30th May 2pm and Thursday 2nd June 2pm,
Menai Heritage Trust will be hosting two guided walks as part of the Anglesey Walking Festival during the half term break.
• Chepstow Community Hub, Creepy Crawly Stories! (Thursday 2nd June, 11am – 12pm)
Listen to creepy crawly stories & make your own Magical Mini Beast
• Wrexham County Borough Museum and Archives – Make and Take – 31/05/16 and 02/06/16 10:30am – 12:30pm
Make a craft with an historical twist at Wrexham Museum. Themes vary.
Suitable for families with children.
Drop in event.
£1 per child
• Pontardawe Library, Lego Club (31st May, 10:30 – 11:30)
• Narberth Museum, Children’s Photography Competition! (28th May – 4th June)
Visit the museum during half term and photograph objects from the museum’s collection on a phone or tablet. Then, use apps to create a unique piece of art. For more information about the competition contact: email@example.com
• Llyn Maritime Museum, Fun Morning for Kids! (2nd June 10:30am – 12:30pm)
Welsh and English storytelling sessions for 4-7 year olds
Including a colouring competition and face painting
• Bargoed Library, Story and Activity Sessions (Tuesday 31st May, 2.30pm – 3.30pm)
Story and activity sessions for children
• Rydypennau Library, Dr. Rhys Jones Talk (28th May, 10:30am – 12:30pm)
Dr. Rhys Jones will be giving a talk as part of the libraries community day. There will also be crafts and refreshments. No booking is necessary.
For more information on the events being held in Archives, Libraries and Museums in Wales please visit our websites:
www.welshlibraries.org / www.llyfrgelloeddcymru.org
www.archiveswales.org / www.archifaucymru.org
Or visit our social media pages:
Welsh Libraries and Llyfrgelloedd Cymru
Archives Wales and Archifau Cymru
Gwyl Amgueddfeydd Cymru | Welsh Museums Festival