2016 marks the Year of Adventure in Wales so if you are looking for fun, adventurous and interesting activities this summer look no further than your local museum, archive and library!
Here is a taster of some of the great events that are happening across Wales:
- Wrexham Museum: Messy Museum, painting, sticking and general messy fun for 0-3 year olds! Drop in event £1 per child. Every Monday (except bank holiday) in August, 10.30am – 12.30pm.
- Wrexham Library: Get Crafty! Celebrate Roald Dahl’s centenary with some craft sessions at Wrexham Library this summer. Sessions are free no booking required. Children under 7 must be supervised. Every Wednesday throughout August.
- Penygroes Library, Meet the Police! Dress up, fingerprints, see the equipment, no need to book. Monday 8th August, 2pm – 4pm
- Holywell Library, Roald Dahl crafts and games! 16th August 2pm – 4pm. £1 per family no booking required.
- Mortimer’s Fortress Medieval Weekend, with the Marcher Freeman. Three weekends of medieval fun with weapon demonstrations, activities, archery and more! Learn all about medieval life. 11am – 4pm, 6-7 / 13-14 / 20-21 August
- Neath Library: Roald Dahl Craft: Making Mr Twit’s beard and our own George’s Marvellous Medicine August 3rd and 24th, 11am
- Cardiff Central Library: Events every Monday and Friday at 2pm inspired by the works of Roald Dahl and similar authors. All sessions need to be booked in advance.
- National Wool Museum: Scrappy Sheep Club: Spinning helicopters and plunging parachutes. Make a paper helicopter and a working parachute complete with mini toy figure. Thursday 11th – Saturday 13th August 12 – 3pm.
- National Waterfront Museum: Pirate Weekend: Go pirate crazy with cutthroat crafts, swashbuckling storytelling and knotty fun. Plus take a selfie with Jack Sparrow. 20th and 21st August, 11am – 4pm
- Pontypool Library: Summer Story and Craft. Tuesdays throughout August, 2.30pm – 3.30pm. For children aged 5 and over. Free.
- Narberth Library: Creative Storytelling Workshops for Families, 17th August, 10.45am – 12.30pm and 2.12pm – 3.45pm.
- Merthyr Library: The Big Friendly Read Story and Craft times: Merthyr Library Wednesdays 2pm-3pm, Dowlais Library Thursdays 10.30am – 11.30am, Treharris and Aberfan Libraries both have craft tables all summer!
- Llanelli Library, BFG Event, All day! All ages, Thursday 25th August
- Powysland Museum: Every Monday, 11.30am – 2pm, activities for children aged 3 and above, £3 per child.
- National Library of Wales: Roald Dahl Workshop, A unique look at the archives of the Roald Dahl Museum and Story Centre with Archivist Rachel White. 10th August
For more information on the events being held in Archives, Libraries and Museums in Wales please visit our websites:
Or visit our social media pages:
Welsh Libraries and Llyfrgelloedd Cymru
Archives Wales and Archifau Cymru
Gwyl Amgueddfeydd Cymru | Welsh Museums Festival